Monday, July 16, 2012

Halfway Mark - Part I

I still remember the morning of 4/9/2012, like it was yesterday. That was the day I got the call from New Balance, offering me my current internship. I got the call, just as I was waking up, at around 8 am and I ran downstairs, screaming, to tell my mom. I was happy, elated, thrilled - not just because I had finally landed an internship, but because I had landed THE ONE. Before I got this internship, I dealt with months of applications and rejections. It was tough, at times, to have any faith. I thought I'd spend the summer, without an internship, maybe working at a retail store to save up some money. When I got this internship, however, I felt like it had all paid off. The rest of April and the entire month of May just seemed too long. I was supposed to start my internship on June 4th and I couldn't wait!

Finally, June came around. I had just moved into my apartment, in Boston, on June 1sth - a few days before I started my internship. I had spent the weekend getting situated and tending to my excited nerves. I planned out my 1st day outfit, the night before, just so I wasn't freaking out the morning of. The dress code is jeans so I paired my dark blue skinny jeans with a color block blouse and a black blazer. That morning, I was nervous and excited, all at once. I got on the bus, constantly looking out the window, to make sure I didn't miss my stop. My first week here, Boston had really cold and rainy weather. It was gonna take a lot more than that, however, to dampen my excitement. My stop finally came and I got off, walked to the NB building, giddy as a little kid in a candy store. I looked up at this building, taking it all in. I couldn't believe I was here and I couldn't wait to get started! I signed in at the front desk and was asked to go up to the main reception, where I waited for my manager to arrive. He came down to get me and we went up to the top floor - where I am now situated - yay! :)

The views from where I sit.
My manager was going to be travelling the 2 days after I started so I dived right into the projects I was going to be working on - I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. The next few days, I familiarized myself with the projects and met tons of people. I have a phenomenal manager, who had been kind enough to set up one-on-ones for me to meet with the people I would be interacting with on a daily basis. I was already collecting all the information and tips I could get, from everyone!

My first week just flew by and it was my first Friday here, before I knew it. My manager had signed me up to play in a charity kickball game that day. So, we spent the day representing The New Balance Foundation, participating in a kickball tournament to support Playworks - a national nonprofit organization that supports learning by providing safe, healthy and inclusive play and physical activity to low-income schools at recess and throughout the entire school day. Not a bad way to wrap up my first week, huh!


Playworks Kickball Tournament
Stay tuned for more ....