Friday, October 12, 2012

The 5-Minute Face

With Fall setting in and the days getting shorter and shorter, my motivation to get up in the morning has become non-existent! I catch myself hitting snooze over and over, not wanting to get out of bed.
In an attempt to save precious time in the morning, I have tried my best to simplify my make-up routine to just the basics - a technique that takes just 5 minutes!

                 




(1) BB Cream: This product that was initially very popular in Asia has now hit the US mainstream. BB cream is my favorite time-saver as it incorporates a moisturizer (with SPF), primer, tinted moisturizer/foundation, concealer and mattifier into one small tube leaving you with flawless skin in one single step. RecommendSmashbox Camera Ready BB Cream, $39

(2) Setting Powder: I like using a setting powder after foundation to prevent excess oil and add a slight glow. Recommend: Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder, $32

(3) Bronzer/Highlighter: A bronzer or highlighter can be used to add a little color, especially when skin tends to get paler in colder months. They can also be used to contour the face. Recommend: TANtalizer ® Highligter & Matte Bronzer Duo, $32

(4) Eyeliner: A thin swipe of eyeliner on upper and lower lids gives eyes an instant pop. Pencil liners tend to be easier to use than messy liquid liners in the morning. Recommend: Estée Lauder Automatic Eye Pencil Duo, $25

(5) Eyelash curler: Every girl should invest in a good eyelash curler! A 3-second pinch makes a huge difference in creating a wide-eyed look with beautifully curled lashes. Recommend: Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler, $20

(6) Eyelid primer: I didn’t realize the value of a good eyelid primer until a few years ago. I used to wonder why my eye-shadow would always slide off my skin. Then I started using eyelid primer (which is different than regular skin primer) and saw a difference immediately. Eyelid primer should be used anytime you apply eye-shadow to ensure all day coverage. Recommend: Too Faced Shadow Insurance, $18

(7) Eyeshadow: For daytime use, I prefer a soft shadow of neutral shades just to add some color and dimension to the face. There are many palettes that are available with softer shades that can be used during the day and transition right into night. Recommend: Too Faced Naked Eye Soft & Sexy Eye Shadow Collection, $36.

(8) Lip Gloss/Stain: I prefer lip glosses and stains to lipsticks because they look more natural and also last longer. Early in the morning, I hate the feeling of having makeup caked on my face. Lip stains and glosses provide a less heavy alternative to lipsticks and give sheer, natural color. Recommend: Laura Mercier Lip Glace in Baby Doll, $24; Tarte LipSurgenceTM Matte Lip Tint in Hope-warm rose, $24

I timed myself to see exactly how long steps 1 through 8 would take, and even with the time needed to rummage through my make-up bag it took me 5 minutes and 11 seconds! By minimizing your morning prep time you'll have a few extra minutes to get some zzzs or cuddle time ;) ! Good luck guys, and Happy Fall!!

xo,

Sheela