Monday, October 1, 2012

End of Summer Rehab

Hello Fashion Lovers!
I’d like to start off by thanking my bestie- Dhruvi Brahmbhatt for convincing (and nagging me :P) into the world of blogging. Not only is she an amazing friend and my partner in crime, she has been a great support and influence in my life and even in my fashion sense. Her ability to effortlessly put together trendy colors, prints, and textures that I could never even conceive has helped me evolve and develop my own individual sense of style. Thanks boo <3
By profession I am a Biomedical Engineer for the U.S. Army (Yeah- im kinda a nerd) but to any of those who have walked into my office, you’ll find more copies of Cosmo, Glamour, Lucky and Allure than any scientific journals or papers. I’ve always had a great interest in fashion and beauty for as long as I remember. I recall sitting around with my cousins – dressing them up with different outfits, trying new hairstyles, makeup trends and playing “spa”. Looking your best on the outside is definitely a reflection of how you feel on the inside- when you look your best, you feel your best. I also don’t believe that one should hide behind clothes and make-up, they are only accessories to highlight your true inner beauty!
With the end of summer approaching, my husband and I decided to take a last minute vacay to Puerto Rico Labor Day weekend. It’s been a pretty hectic summer, so we really wanted to let loose. It was my first time there and I absolutely loved it – the people, the food, the weather!! It was great. Unfortunately, upon return I realized that my extended time in the sun and pool had let to my hair and skin looking parched and dry. I came back wanting a makeover ASAP to get ready for the fall season. Looking to revitalize my look, I sought after my end of summer essentials!

Elemis Frangipani Monoi Moisture Melt: I discovered this product during my trip to the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas in 2009. I decided to get a signature Elemis massage at the Mandara Spa on Atlantis Paradise Island and it was by far one of the most beautiful and relaxing spas I have been to. As the massage began, the room was immediately filled with a very aromatic fragrance. When I inquired about the product I was told that it was an Elemis body oil used at the spa. I fell in LOVE this scent – it is a combination of coconut oil, sandalwood and jasmine and brings back fond memories of my grandmothers house in Mysore, India. I knew I had to have this product. It can be purchased at Mandara, Elemis, or Bliss spas and can also be found online. When warmed, the oil can be massaged onto skin, penetrating deep and making it super soft. The Elemis Monoi melt is pretty pricey, but a little goes a long way. This product is perfect for dry skin and really restores smoothness and moisture- not to mention the scent is to die for!

Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Retexturizer Exfoliating Scrub: My favorite part of any skin care routine is exfoliation. A good exfoliation can not only get rid of dead, dry skin cells but also clear tone, texture and reduce hyper pigmentation and pore size. There are so many different kinds of exfoliating scrubs on the market, and at times it’s difficult to identify which type is suitable for your skin. I have been looking for a good exfoliator for some time now, so when I heard about the Peter Thomas Roth  Laser-Free™ Retexturizer™ Exfoliating Scrub I decided to try it out. What is unique about this exfoliator, is that it is not only a textured scrub, it is also an enzyme glycolic peel. After getting back from PR I used this scrub on my face. I could see immediate results – my skin looked more even and healthy, and felt very smooth. At $38 per bottle this stuff isn’t cheap, but the product lasts and using it 1-2 times per week is more than enough to maintain your glowing skin.
Moroccan Oil: Over the last few years there has been so much hype over Morrocon Oil and its benefits to hair. Numerous brands of this oil claim that this antioxidant rich oil will give hair dramatic shine and softness. Returning from four days of sitting out in the sun and spending hours in the pool, my hair needed an emergency fix. Desperate, I decided to try an un-opened bottle of Morrocanoil I had purchased years ago and realized what all the hype is about. I rubbed a small amount of product through my towel dried hair and blow-dried it as usual. My hair felt softer and healthier than it has felt in a LONG time. In addition, there was no greasiness (something I wouldn’t expect from an oil serum) and my hair seemed to have great volume and bounce. I am totally hooked!
I am excited to begin as the beauty blogger on Stillettos and Sequins and hope to bring forth insights and topics that appeal to readers. Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

XO,
Sheela