Monday, February 18, 2013

Prabal Gurung for Target Review

The much anticipated Prabal Gurung for Target collection finally launched a little over a week ago and I was beyond excited! I saw the lookbook and fell in love with every look! The Target stores by me are closed on Sundays so the day this collection launched, I woke up at 7 am and tried to order items online. But the one item I just HAD to have - Dress 1 - was already sold out online, by 7 am!

I tried my luck at two different Target stores on Monday and finally got the dress! Anyways, between the stores and the site, I ended up getting these 9 items -
After all the excitement and anticipation, I hate to admit that I was not thrilled. I was actually pretty disappointed. I wasn't impressed by the fit of the clothes. I ended up getting Dress 1 in size 2 and I'm most certainly not size 2. Even beyond that, the dress just made my hips look way too big! The same goes for the red dress, although it's not as bad as the white floral dress. I got the 2 blouses and the sweater in size S (I had also ordered all 3 in M for safe measure) and all 3 items ended up being way too big! The blouses also have a hi-low hem, which I'm not a fan of. The drop waist dress doesn't work on my body so I won't say much about that, except that it runs really big!

Now onto the items I actually liked. The coral & aqua dress isn't one I had originally planned on buying but I picked it up anyways and it was a pleasant surprise. I love how it fits but I had to get it in size 6. See what I mean when I say the fit was all cooky? I also love the skirt - although the print and color are very conservative, the silhouette is great! The lace-up pumps are also great! So, I'm going to keep those 3 items.

Overall, judging from the items I have tried, I think the collection is almost matronly and not very flattering or sexy. Everything was cut too big (except the white floral dress) and too long! In terms of fit, I feel lit the collection was not designed for real women. I was mostly disappointed about the white floral dress didn't work out because I had planned on wearing it for my birthday next month! :(

Did you guys buy anything from this collection? What did you think about it?

xo
Dhruvi

PS - See how I styled one of the pieces from the collection here!